When you visit the beautiful green grounds covering an area close to 48 acres in Gorai, in the western suburbs of Mumbai, by the side of a creek overlooking Asia’s largest pagoda, it is hard to imagine that this picturesque location was until recently home to approximately 2.3 million tonnes of garbage in an open dump with an average height of 26 metres, about as high as a five-storey building.
15 results found
The Thermal Converter is Waste Processing Plant which combusts various waste at high temperature 1700 0 C , in order to reduce the emission of air pollutants including dioxin. The heating will be changed as superheated steam by a boiler. It will generate a turbine and generator which produce electric power. Also Thermal Converter destroys 97 % of waste leaving only 2 – 3 % residue as marble which is suitable for cement additives as well as ceramic production.
Millions of tonnes of plastic waste leaks into the world’s oceans every year. Though these are local, the problem of plastic production, waste generation, and plastic pollution is global. Global plastic production has increased steadily and has reached 320 million tonnes a year. Of the estimated 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic produced since the 1950s, only 9 percent has been recycled and another 12 percent incinerated.
Communities facing the prospect of having “waste-to-energy” incinerators established in theirneighbourhoods have a right to know the full details of the project and its impact on their health and environment. Host communities carry the direct burdens of these technologies in terms of noise, environmental pollution, and health and social impacts.
The mercury situation in the Philippines is alarming. In 2008, the Environmental Management Bureau, under the Philippine Department of Environment and Natural Resources, conducted a mercury assessment for the Philippines. The report revealed a staggering annual release of 133,589 kilograms of mercury into various environmental media, with air bearing the brunt of the emissions -- 80,755 kilograms of mercury are released into the air every year.
Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) funding for incineration and landfills currently represents a lost opportunity to reduce pollution and help improve the welfare and standards of living of some of the poorest people in the world. Additionally, this funding incentivizes the destruction of valuable resources that would otherwise have been recovered with significant climate benefits.
Growing numbers of communities around the world are adopting Zero Waste policies, having become frustrated with the progress of governments and businesses to deal with the waste crisis. By doing so they are sending a powerful message to decision-makers and business that communities no longer want to be the final dumping ground for the outputs of the industrial system - and that cheap, easy disposal is coming to an end.
In many cities in developing countries, the most serious environmental and health problems are related with inadequate solid waste management (SWM). Urbanization or an increase in population, respectively, leads to increased waste generation in urban areas. Most problems are strongly related to inappropriate treatment of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste (OMSW). Composting and anaerobic digestion (AD) are seen as the most favored options to deal with OMSW.
Jahan-e-Kabari is a platform for sharing ideas and news about the informal recycling sector, on issues that impact informal waste recyclers- wastepickers, pheriwallas, thia walas, kabaris. This newsletter will knit ideas together to share with both the sector and the larger world of practitioners and interested persons and organizations. This issue focuses on waste-to-energy and waste pickers.
This paper unpacks the interaction between the informal sector and the private waste contractors and the impact of privatization on the informal sector in Delhi. It uses the unfolding of privatization in Delhi and global experiences to understand the issue and to suggest how waste can be handled in an equitable manner.